19 January 2014

The Past Is Just A Story We Tell Ourselves

currently: feeling quiet
listening to: photographs | arcade fire


Her (Spike Jonze) is such an incredible movie.
I cried on and off throughout the entire movie. The plot is very simple, as it is just about a disconnected man who has recently gone through a divorce, trying to find himself and fix his loss of communication, as he falls into a relationship with his operating system who is the ideal match for him as she was tailored and programmed to fit his needs best. I thought the cinematography reflect greatly on how the characters felt, using mainly red (as the theme), blue/black, and an overlay of white to soften and create this 'ethereal' sense of futuristic utopia. The entire movie is filled with modern technology, and touched with "60's architecture"- futuristic minimalism colored in with

Even if you come home late and I’m already asleep, just whisper in my ear one little thought you had today. Because I love the way you look at the world. And I’m so happy I get to be next to you and look at the world through your eyes.
-Theodore Twombly

I thought that Her was visually beautiful, and the writing was very....bitter sweet (for a lack of better terms). It made me feel very empty, lonely, yet connected. Nostalgic and sad. And I appreciate the fact that they used a lot of acoustic/piano music, and 'raw' vocals.
Definitely see it if you haven't! The writing is absolutely beautiful!

-i

No comments: